Digital Editor, NOWNESS
Title: Digital Editor, NOWNESS
Reporting to: Managing Director
Working closely with: Social Media and Commercial teams
Experience: 2+ years in a similar environment
Location: Office located in London WC2.
NOWNESS is a global video channel screening the best in culture.
Launched in 2010, NOWNESS’ unique programming strategy has established it as the go-to source of inspiration and influence across art and design, dance, fashion, photography, music, food and travel. Our curatorial expertise and award-winning approach to storytelling is unparalleled.
Powered by Dazed Media, the world’s leading independent fashion and culture media brand, NOWNESS is part of an ever-evolving network of premium digital channels and iconic print titles including Dazed and AnOther.
The Digital Editor works closely with the NOWNESS team to coordinate the sourcing and delivery of acquired films as well as create editorial output around these films.
The role involves actively outreaching to directors, production companies, galleries, PRs and other outlets, as well as regularly pre-screening submissions. The Digital Editor works daily with the Social Media Editor to devise creative editorial campaigns across platforms that support NOWNESS premieres, themed seasons and other output. They are responsible for ensuring all pages on NOWNESS.com are up-to-date and will suggest site improvements to promote audience growth.
This role is suited to someone who is a detail-oriented, organised self-starter with strong editorial and digital skills, including excellent subbing skills, and a willingness to learn, develop and take initiative as an autonomous member of a small team.
The Digital Editor is passionate about culture with enthusiasm for films and filmmaking.
Responsibilities and deliverables
- Work with the Creative Director and Managing Director to guide all editorial activity including daily operations and campaign roll-outs
- Manage incoming film submissions from the NOWNESS website and the team’s network
- Communicate with tact and empathy to filmmakers and other contributors
- Evaluate, curate, identify and acquire appropriate content for our platforms
- Work closely with the Social Media Editor to devise effective campaigns for NOWNESS content
- Research, write and post Story of the Day and Picks posts, including headlines and subs; sourcing director and talent statements and working with contributors; plotting strategically to complement the programming schedule
- Work with the commercial team to craft branded copy and manage client expectations
- Ensure all content adheres to the NOWNESS voice and aesthetic, follows the required style guides, production processes and meets editorial standards
- Keep all pages on NOWNESS.com up-to-date, interesting and maximised for UX; advising on site changes; liaising with site developers to implement improvements
- Review content performance, audience growth and engagement on daily / weekly basis; liaising with the Digital Director when necessary
- Curate and send the NOWNESS newsletter; actively working to evolve the format
- Assist with curation of NOWNESS social media channels when necessary, coordinating with the Social Media Editor
Essential knowledge and skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Top-notch communications skills
- Strong subbing skills
- Good sense of how to craft heads and subheads; skilled at writing short, informative and compelling copy for 2-3 stories per week
- Being reactive and flexible; balancing daily operational and longer-term strategic activity
- Proactive time management to ensure daily, weekly and regular operational tasks are completed in time and to a high standard
- Strongly skilled at creative solutions to improve audience reach and engagement
- Autonomous worker with ownership over projects and daily tasks
- Comfortable working in a small team
- Excellent communication across the team and externally
- Proactive in troubleshooting and streamlining operational tasks
- Skilled use of CMS; ideally with experience of social media, analytics and tracking tools
- Strong understanding of NOWNESS POV and tone of voice
- Knowledge of the NOWNESS film archive desirable
- All members of the NOWNESS team assist in sourcing content; team members also feed into commissioning projects and other creative initiatives
These duties and responsibilities are indicative and not exhaustive but serve to give a realistic overview of the role and requirements. The company reserves the right to change this role description in response to the changing needs of the business.
At NOWNESS we promote a working environment in which diversity is recognised, valued and encouraged. We acknowledge the multicultural and diverse nature of the UK workforce and society in general. We are committed to principles of fairness and mutual respect. We particularly welcome applicants from those who are significantly underrepresented in our sector.
What we offer:
- 20 days holiday each year as standard + bank holidays & 3 days over Christmas additional to this
- Flexible working policy
- Your birthday off
- Extra days annual leave for each year of service - up to 5
- Contributory pension scheme
- Enhanced family leave benefits
- Personal development scheme
- Company discounts including gyms, popular retailers & hotels
- Cycle to work scheme
- Ongoing social events throughout the year and frequent invites to external Dazed / Nowness events
- A newly refurbished office in an incredible location with exhibitions, bars and restaurants on site
- 1 volunteer day each year
- Moving days for moving home
- A chance to join our internal Diversity & Inclusion Committee to drive and be part of change within the business
Date Posted: 9th Sept 2022